There are many books and websites out there that can give you ideas on how to handle stress, how to control anger, how to be mindful and self-compassionate. The sheer number of resources should reassure you that you aren't alone in whatever you are feeling or experiencing. However it's also important to talk to someone - a trusted adult family member or friend, a teacher or counselor, and to recognize when you might need some more professional help.
Books and Websites
- Two good resources for keeping your stress levels in check come from Healthy Kids and the American Psychological Association
- Mindfulness for Teens offers a great introduction to mindfulness and some easy and short guided meditations to download onto your phone.
- A series of books called "Instant Help for Teens" has some great, easy-to-follow advice and activites on dealing with everything from anger to anxiety to bullying to body image. Ask at the Somerville Library - they'll be able to request it for you if they don't have the one you want.
- CHA Teen Health Center, based at Somerville High School offers physical and mental health support to Somerville Teens.
- The Guidance Center at Riverside offers a wide range of individual and family therapy services.
- Neighborhood Counseling and Community Services are a team of licensed mental health professionals, social workers and volunteers committed to keeping community mental health accessible to everybody.
Substance Abuse, Prevention/Addiction
- Somerville Office of Prevention, The SOP is committed to leading efforts around underage drinking and substance abuse in Somerville.
- Somerville Cares about Prevention, SCAP uses multiples strategies in multiple settings to prevent subtance abuse in Somerville.
- Teen Connection, attached to the Somerville High School provides a team of confidential health professionals to help you get back on track.
- CHA Outpatient Addiction Services offers support to patients aged 18 and up. If you are not a CHA client they may be able to help with referrals.
- Riverside Outpatient Addiction Services offers support and referrals to people struggling with addiction, and their families.
- North Charles Addictions Treatment Programs offer a wide range of addiction treatment and support in affiliation with Cambridge Hospital.
Shelters and Emergency Support
- Bridge Over Troubled Waters provides comprehensive services for you ages 14 -24 in a positive and safe environment. Whether you are homeless or looking to take your GED we'll refer you to the services that will help you the most.
- Crisis Text Line - Text HELLO to 741741
- BEST - Emergency Mental Health Services 1 800 981 HELP